Prev: Re: The Airbrushing Chronicles Part III Next: Re: Babylon 5 Wars Fleet Action review

Re: FB2... hmmmm...

From: Matthew Seidl <seidl@v...>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 08:09:05 -0600
Subject: Re: FB2... hmmmm...

On Tue, 6 Jun 2000 09:35:38 -0400 , "Bell, Brian K" writes:
>Right! The paragraph is ambiguous. My reading was that it was just like
the
>use of FCS for Salvo Missiles. Your reading was that they were needed 1
per
>Plasma Bolt.
>
>If used in the same manner as SML/SMR, having multiple small PBLs is
>actually more effective than having a large PBL. This is due to the
fact
>that rerolls have no additional effect on Class-1 PBs, but do on
Class-2 and
>larger.
>
>If used as you stated, then Large PBLs are the way to go. Using this
method,
>even 2 PBLs aimed at the exact same point would require 2 FCS' to fire
them.
>This, however, leaves them weaker as all ships within 6tu of the BP may
>direct PDS fire at it. This makes them rather usless unless you happen
>catch a small ship out by itself with a large PBL. Example: You have a
>Class-5 PBL (rather large). You fire it at where you think a group of
light
>cruisers will be. You guess right 3 CLs end up within 6tu of your PB
marker.
>Each CL has 2 PDS (we will ignore the Class-1s for the moment). Each
PDS
>will reduce the PB by an average of .66 (not counting re-rolls [4
damage out
>of 6 rolls]). So on average the PB will do no damage. Now add in the
effects
>of ADFCs and Class-1 Beams, Screens and the fact that it can only fire
every
>other turn. And this weapon has a mass of 25?!?

Wait a sec.  PDS only decrease plasma bolts ona roll of a six, not on
a beam die bases.  So the 6 PDS's on the 3 CLs only gets (on average)
a single hit, and each cl takes ~14 points of damage.  Not pretty at
all.

-=- Matthew L. Seidl		email: seidl@cs.colorado.edu
   =-=
=-= Graduate Student			Project . . . What Project?
   -=-
-=- http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~seidl/Home.html 	 -Morrow Quotes
   =-=
=-= http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~seidl/lawsuit
   -=-

Prev: Re: The Airbrushing Chronicles Part III Next: Re: Babylon 5 Wars Fleet Action review