Prev: Re: [OT] Suggested Sci-Fi Next: Re: FB2... hmmmm...

Re: FB2... hmmmm...

From: stiltman@t...
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 14:12:45 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: FB2... hmmmm...

> From: <stiltman@teleport.com>
> > Number cruncher note:  A class 5 K-gun on Kra'Vak ships is actually
more
> > efficient than a class 6.  They both get double damage on everything
but
> > a 6, but to get a base 30 damage you only need 66 mass in class 5
K-guns
> > but you'd need 70 mass in class 6's.  Haven't done the math for
higher
> > class ones yet, but I think the scale gets worse as you get higher.
> > (Base 45 damage of class 9's is 115 mass, but in class 5's is only
99.)
> > Probably says, if you're going to number-crunch it, it's not worth
getting
> > larger than class 5 K-guns on a Kra'Vak ship.

> Correct. This was a deliberate design decision - that you could have
> K-8s or K-15s if you wanted to, but after K-5 they're not as cost
> effective.

I suppose it makes sense... sort of like beams higher up than class 3's.

Another comment:  at further glance, it seems a bit like Phalons' point
defenses are kind of weak.  Their pulsers are nowhere near as efficient
as
PDS, scatterguns, or Sa'Vasku variants thereof, and their plasma blasts
can
be shot down by fighters (although, if the fighters goof a die roll on
them
it's lights out).  Granted, in the official designs nobody except the
Kra'Vak
has particularly good defense against fighters... but the Phalons'
defenses
seem to scale up the worst if you want to improve them.  It's to a
degree
that, since it takes four mass worth of pulsers to get a single
all-around
die roll of point defense, I almost wonder if they're really worth five
points.  Sure, against other _ships_ they're probably worth it, but if
you
just piled enough fighters and missiles on them they'd get blown away
fairly
easily.  It's probably I'm missing something... but are these things
really
all-around effective enough to be worth five points per mass?

Just a few screwy thoughts from the custom-gamer (who sees a lot of
number
crunching, not that he does a terrible amount of it himself, but sees
enough
that he keeps these things in mind)...
--
 The Stilt Man		      stiltman@teleport.com

Prev: Re: [OT] Suggested Sci-Fi Next: Re: FB2... hmmmm...