Prev: Re: Grazers (was: Pre-measuring things) Next: Re: FB2... hmmmm...

FB2... hmmmm...

From: stiltman@t...
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 02:35:48 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: FB2... hmmmm...

Okay, I finally got in good enough financial shape that I picked up that
reserved copy of FB2 that the Military Corner had stuffed away for me,
and
I'm sort of looking over the stuff in here.  Lots of critiques here.

Phalons' plasma bolts.... anyone besides me see lots of abuse potential
in
a custom game?	Is this thing really intended to only be three points
per
mass?  With a six inch radius... the thing's essentially a higher-end
nova cannon that you can just dilute with screens and PDS.

Number cruncher note:  A class 5 K-gun on Kra'Vak ships is actually more
efficient than a class 6.  They both get double damage on everything but
a 6, but to get a base 30 damage you only need 66 mass in class 5 K-guns
but you'd need 70 mass in class 6's.  Haven't done the math for higher
class ones yet, but I think the scale gets worse as you get higher.
(Base 45 damage of class 9's is 115 mass, but in class 5's is only 99.)
Probably says, if you're going to number-crunch it, it's not worth
getting
larger than class 5 K-guns on a Kra'Vak ship.

In just about any sort of fighter operations, Sa'Vasku are in bad shape.
They have to consume biomass to launch fighters of their own or to
effect
any sort of area defense, and their fighters are all plain-vanilla on
attack.
On first glance it seems like the Kra'Vak have the advantage since their
fighters can all ignore screens without having to pay through the nose
for
torpedo bombers, but the Phalons probably have the ultimate advantage
because
their plasma bolts would seem to make it ridiculously easy to annihilate
anyone who sets up an area defense phalanx, not to mention fighter
screens.

Question arising from that last sentence:  plasma bolts are going to
nuke
fighters too, aren't they?  At least, they certainly would seem to under
official rules.  (The house rules we play with assume that fighters can
evade nova cannons and wave guns for free.... we might use that
assumption
with plasma bolts, too, especially if they get too abusive.)

Apologies if all of this came up before I joined the list...

 The Stilt Man		      stiltman@teleport.com
   http://www.teleport.com/~stiltman/stiltman.html
   < We are Microsoft Borg '98.  Lower your expectations and	>
   < surrender your money.  Antitrust law is irrelevant.	>
   < Competition is irrelevant.  We will add your financial and >
   < technological distinctiveness to our own.	Your software	>
   < will adapt to service ours.  Resistance is futile. 	>

Prev: Re: Grazers (was: Pre-measuring things) Next: Re: FB2... hmmmm...