Prev: RE: Measuring things... Next: Unfortunately... Re: Measuring things...

Re: Re: [FT] Missing ships

From: bob_eldridge@m...
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 10:50:41 -0400
Subject: Re: Re: [FT] Missing ships

gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU wrote:

Jon Tuffley on the LLAR acquiring the Konstantin carrier
> They're probably welcome to it!
> I hope they got a good deal on a LARGE supply of spare parts too - the
hull
> is getting pretty old and turning into a maintenance nightmare and
> money-pit...... I suspect she'll spend more time in spacedock than out
of
> it....  ;-)
>
> Jon (GZG)

That fits pretty well the modern-day situation of Latin American
carriers.
According to my 1993 world defense almanach, Brazil and Argentina each
had a
1940's vintage carrier (extensively refit), both in dock and more likely
be scrapped than to be used again.

Ships are not acquired just for purely military reasons, prestige often
plays a significant role in the decision.And players buy a mini because
it
looks cool.

As an aside, based on slightly boosted present-day strengths, I see the
LLAR
having about the following fleet:

1 Attack carrier (as said, as much for prestige as for real military
reasons)
2-3 light carriers (to do the real work)

half a dozen battleships (about what Latin America had in the
dreadnought
era - anybody got a Jane's ca.1914 ?)

a dozen or so cruisers

sundry destroyers and smaller vessels

Greetings
Karl Heinz

South American Dreadnoughts circa 1914:
    Argentina : 2
    Chile : 2 both taken over by the British in WWI. One was returned
over to Chile after the war.
    Brazil : 3 one (the Rio de Janiero) was seized by the British and
became the Agincourt. Offered to Brazil after WWI, but obsolete by that
time and so the offer was refused.
So a half-dozen battleships for the LLAR would be about right.

Prev: RE: Measuring things... Next: Unfortunately... Re: Measuring things...