Prev: Ship copies was: Ship sales Next: Re: Ship copies was: Ship sales

Re: [FT] Missing ships

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (Karl Heinz Ranitzsch)
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 07:54:00 +0200
Subject: Re: [FT] Missing ships

Jon Tuffley on the LLAR acquiring the Konstantin carrier
> They're probably welcome to it!
> I hope they got a good deal on a LARGE supply of spare parts too - the
hull
> is getting pretty old and turning into a maintenance nightmare and
> money-pit...... I suspect she'll spend more time in spacedock than out
of
> it....  ;-)
>
> Jon (GZG)

That fits pretty well the modern-day situation of Latin American
carriers.
According to my 1993 world defense almanach, Brazil and Argentina each
had a
1940's vintage carrier (extensively refit), both in dock and more likely
be scrapped than to be used again.

Ships are not acquired just for purely military reasons, prestige often
plays a significant role in the decision.And players buy a mini because
it
looks cool.

As an aside, based on slightly boosted present-day strengths, I see the
LLAR
having about the following fleet:

1 Attack carrier (as said, as much for prestige as for real military
reasons)
2-3 light carriers (to do the real work)

half a dozen battleships (about what Latin America had in the
dreadnought
era - anybody got a Jane's ca.1914 ?)

a dozen or so cruisers

sundry destroyers and smaller vessels

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: Ship copies was: Ship sales Next: Re: Ship copies was: Ship sales