Prev: Re: real world colonization Next: Re: A big problem for the next 100 years - energy demands

Re: Assumptions...

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 12:54:30 PDT
Subject: Re: Assumptions...

>From: Roger Books <books@mail.state.fl.us>
>To: gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
>Subject: Assumptions...
>Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 11:00:33 -0400 (EDT)
>
>There are several obvious assumptions that have to be made
>for a space combat game to work, these have already been
>made in the Tuffleyverse (did I spell the correctly?).
>
>1.  Space travel is relatively inexpensive.
>2.  Colonies have been put in place.
>3.  Shipping goods is a winning proposition.
>
>Jump up and down about how realistic or unrealistic assumption
>X is, it doesn't matter.  If we don't have these 3 things
>(and probably others I didn't think of) we don't have a game.

I for one never said that these assumpttions were unrealistic.	Our
discussion was about just how and why these 3 things took place, not
whether
or not they WILL.

>If you want to play a starship combat game in a universe that
>can't support starships because you don't have one of the
>three feel free.  Leave me out.  If you want to play DSII
>or SG strictly on earth that works and is fine.  Most of
>us like to play on alien planets and environments (my biggest
>complaint is no null-g rules) so we have to assume that there
>is a reason to fight.	You don't fight over things you don't
>want.	Whatever your personal opinion is on there being
>colonies, it doesn't matter in this context.
>
>Roger

This is all very well and good, but I think you've missed the point of
the
discussion.  If YOU just want to play out set piece battles between
space
fleets, go right ahead.  But some of us, myself included, find it
interesting to develop story lines behind the colonies and stellar
powers.
This helps to develop a history for the colony, as well as a set of
cultural
values, goals, and attitudes that will explain WHY they're fighting this
or
that battle.  This is particularly entertaining for those of us who like
put some imagination into our power's background.

Brian Bilderback

Prev: Re: real world colonization Next: Re: A big problem for the next 100 years - energy demands