Prev: RE: [Review] Space Dreadnought 3000 Next: Colonization: A Wrench in the Works

In-system movement

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@d...>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 10:56:55 +0300 (EEST)
Subject: In-system movement

Well, I must say that I've tried various methods of abstract in-system
movement rules (includind the one in MT(?)), and IMHO, they just don't
compute -- the interface of switching to on-table movement and back to
abstract is weird, illogical and bound to cause arguments. E.g. if I can
do infinite speed in battle, why can't I do it when enemy ships are
nowhere near? If the enemy can't catch me on tabletop, why the heck am I
required to FTL out after flying off the table?

This bit is very much IMHO, but I want to stress it again: You MUST be
able to force a mobile foe into combat. Otherwise your campaign will
degenerate into a series of raids against the few things that can't run
away.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: RE: [Review] Space Dreadnought 3000 Next: Colonization: A Wrench in the Works