Prev: Re: [OT] Bureau of Relocation Next: [OT] Stellar Conquest PBEM

Re: [OT] Bureau of Relocation

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 10:51:31 +1000
Subject: Re: [OT] Bureau of Relocation

G'day Nyrath,

 >	Using space colonies to relieve overpopulation
 >	is pretty fruitless as well, as compaired to something
 >	like enforcing birth control.
 >
 >	Every *day*, the world's population grows by several
 >	million people.

Actually of all the reasons to push for the stars I think overpopulation

will be the least of our worries. The human population modellers are
beginning to see a much rosier picture of future Earth than they did
even 2
or 3 years back. While we must become more resource efficient to stave
off
depletion and what not within the next century or so, population wise we

may well be paying people to have babies by the end of next century.
Basically there's three growth scenarios:
1) We keep growing at the rate we did in the 80s and go shooting off for

50billion people (that in itself sounds less than rosy and would
probably
foreshadow massive famines, war etc etc like the doomsayers would claim
as
we fell back to carrying capacity)
2) The current trends of birth levels continue and we end up at about 11

billion by the end of next century, something we could probably manage
so
long as we become more efficient and use some alternate power sources
etc
3) The current birth trends in the first world spread to the third world
as
it becomes more technologically integrated and the average population
ages
and dies off quite dramatically (AIDs kicks the heck out of a fair bit
of
Africa) then the total pollution nose dives by the end of next century
and
we're looking at maybe 3 billion or less (and our populations start to
be a
bit tottery based on economic problems of losing labour base, markets
etc).

At present (2) is the odds on bet, though most scifi needs (1) if its
going
to use overpopulation as an excuse to colonise. In case you're
interested
any of the population modelling I've done for the GZGverse has been
based
on an extrapolation of trends that lie between those used in 1 and 2, so
it
allows for the spread of technology and thus lower overall death rates,
but
there is less of a concomitant decline in birth rates because the third
world doesn't catch up with the west so fast (via social issues brought
about via different cultures, the spectre of epidemics such as AIDs) and

because the colony worlds themselves will be encouraging population
growth
(both in situ as they need more population) and back home (as they
represent a larger resource base and potential prosperity).

Cheers

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax 03 6232 5053 International +61 3 6232 5053

email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au

Prev: Re: [OT] Bureau of Relocation Next: [OT] Stellar Conquest PBEM