Prev: Re: Colonization Next: Re: [FH] Dollars per credit

Re: [OT] Bureau of Relocation

From: Roger Books <books@j...>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 14:43:08 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [OT] Bureau of Relocation

On 14-May-00 at 13:19, Imre A. Szabo (ias@sprintmail.com) wrote:
> > Just quoting my historian friend, but she didn't seem to think the
war
> > had anything to do with "bored knights".  Her take on it was a cross
> > between a population problem and inheritance.  Too many second third
> > and fourth sons in a system where only the oldest inherits.  You
ship
> > some off to the church, the rest need to establish their own
territory
> > or end up being peasants.
> >

> There was no population problem.

Too many people for the available resources is what I would call a
population problem.

>  The inheritance problem was typically solved by the monastic
movement.

For those able to enter a monastic order.  Not everyone can deal with
such a lifestyle, and the ones that can't are the ones that  would
cause the greatest stress to your society anyway.

Roger

Prev: Re: Colonization Next: Re: [FH] Dollars per credit