Prev: RE: DS2 Questions Next: Re: [OT] Bureau of Relocation

Re: Immigration as opposed to colonization

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 20:10:39 -0400
Subject: Re: Immigration as opposed to colonization

>But new forms of resistance will arise.  Xenophobia will be an
issue on some
>colonies.  Colonies and the home world will have decidedly
different
>opinions on how the colonies should be run, and who should make
that
>decision (Sound familiar?).  More than one colony may be
competing on the
>same planet. (This can be both a force and a resistance.  Both
governments
>are going to want to pump bodies into their colony, and both
are going to
>try to hinder each other.)

Not necessarily.  If you have a million people on the equivalent
of Asia, and I have a million people on the equivalent of North
America, it will be a long, long time before we start crowding
each other.  Unless you discover the one lump of UltraRarium on
the planet, I don't see why anyone would bother fighting.

Caveat: they may "hinder" each other in ways that don't involve
direct combat, e.g. sabotage.

Caveat: they may just do it out of sheer cussedness, or for
political factors not directly related to economics.

Caveat: there may be factors not immediately apparent.	You may
discover that in fact there just the one convenient source of
potassium, and your neighbors, selfish curs, won't sell it to
you at a reasonable price.   You have to have potassium, it's
not an option.	I'm using potassium as an example, there are
plenty of other trace elements you can use if you feel potassium
would be too easy to find to make it worth fighting.  You die
just as dead if you're missing, say, selenium.

Prev: RE: DS2 Questions Next: Re: [OT] Bureau of Relocation