Prev: RE: Thoughts on FB3 Next: Re: Thoughts on FB3

[OT]-Interstellar Trade: A new take

From: "Bren Mayhugh" <jygro@h...>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 15:37:36 EST
Subject: [OT]-Interstellar Trade: A new take

I have been following this thread for quite a long time and finally
decided
that I would put my two cents in.

As people have written before.	It would cost a great amount of time,
money
and resources to start any colony on a different world.  For a
colonization
to be profitable, something important must come from that colony.  Over
population would be a good reason to start a new colony or maybe some
sort
of exotic mineral produced only on that planet.

Also people have determined the amount of energy to get things off world

would need to be manageable and the amount of energy to produce a
suitable
powersorce easy to accomplish.

But, in my opinion, there is something that most of us are failing to
realize and all of us have been caught up in the numbers and real life
determinations of interstellar trade that we have forgotten one of the
requirement of a good game and that is playablity.

Sure, I know that interstellar trade would probably only be rare items
or
items of art, but where is the fun of that?  I know that I might get
flamed
for this message, but to make a good gaming arena (aka the different
nations
in the GZG-verse), one has to weigh reality and playablity to make the
game
entertaining enough for people but keep it realistic enough to be
plausable
(this is the most important part of any game). The reason that
Faster-than-light drives were created was not for any realism, but to
make
space 'smaller'. Definately a playablity thing. Create a FTl drive, turn
5
light years into 10 minutes. Your wargames (or certain starships) can go

where no one has gone before.

This playablity factor becomes even more necessary when you start to
create
any campaign-like game (for example: adding economics into the
GZG-verse).
Sure, most colonies would be so expensive to start up and maintain for
the
first months (or years) that only extreme reasons would ever force a
nation
to even think of an interstellar colony, but all these sci fi game
wouldn't
be anything unless there is colonies at different star systmes. So we
fudge
reality a bit to make interstellar nations a possiblity and then we can
attack each other on the purple crystal world of Gorena VI with Grav
tanks
and Power armor.

-Bren

Prev: RE: Thoughts on FB3 Next: Re: Thoughts on FB3