Prev: RE: Phalon ships Next: Re: Phalon ships = Giant penises!

re: Re: (FT) Re: simple sensors, using centimeters

From: aebrain@d...
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 23:41:42 GMT
Subject: re: Re: (FT) Re: simple sensors, using centimeters

>> From: Roger Books

>how did you epoxy the ships on the stands and get them to dry straight,
>since it takes a couple of hours to set with enough viscosity?  did you
use

>epoxy putty/ribbon?
>
>*please* tell me how there is a viable epoxy solution!

Personally, I follow these rules:

Heavy bits on the bottom ( ie glue the stand to the model, not the model
the stand). Have the heavy model on the table, with the stand sticking
up in
the air.

Use plasticene ("silly putty" in the US I think) to hold the parts
together.
In a relatively cold climate - less than 80F - this has enough stiffness
for
at least 24 hrs. In a hotter climate, the Epoxy cures faster, so 2 hrs
is enough.

After the first time that a plastic stand breaks off a model, use a
pin-vice
drill to drill out the bit of plastic sticking in the hole, and drill
slightly
into the metal as well. Now also drill a hole in the stand, about 1cm (
1/4"
- 1/3") from the top of the stand down towards its base. Then get a
common-or-garden
paper metal paper clip, cut it to length to use as a pin. Super Glue or
Epoxy
in place.

Bad ASCII art follows (use fixed-width font to view, eg Courier New)

	  |H|
	  |H|
	  |U|
	  | |
	  | |
	  | |

Prev: RE: Phalon ships Next: Re: Phalon ships = Giant penises!