Prev: FB2 Typo Next: Re: DS2 Balance and stuff.

Re: DS2 Balance and stuff.

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 23:06:57 +0200
Subject: Re: DS2 Balance and stuff.

Anthony Leibrick wrote in reply to Brian Bilderback:

>Let me get this right
>If you compare a MDC/5 with superior FC with a HVC/5 with basic FC
>In the old way it would be:
>MDC 5 x 10 = 50 + 5 x 6 =30  total cost 80
>HVC 5 x 8 = 40 + 5 x 2 = 10   total cost 50
>The MDC costs 1.6 times more than the HVC
>
>In your way it would be
>MDC 5 x 3 x 10 = 150
>HVC 5 x 1 x 8 = 40
>the MDC now costs 3.75 times as much.
>
>The only problem is;
>at long range a superior FC will hit 2.3 times as often as basic
>at medium 1.76 times and at close 1.43 times averaging out at 1. 83
>over the 3 range bands. There looks like an unbalance here

You seem to forget that we already *have* an imbalance. I hope you
don't expect a system attempting to correct this very imbalance to give
the *same* (or even similar) points values as the current, faulty
system...

What imbalance, you say? The MDC/5 with Superior FCS is currently badly
underpriced compared to the HVC/5 with Basic FCS. Apart from the
difference in hit rates caused by the different FCSs, the MDC also has
roughly 50% longer range bands than the HVC and has higher chit
validities to boot. Compare the average damages these two guns will
inflict at, say, range 34" and range 42" (just to pick two completely
arbitrary ranges <G>), and you'll see what I mean.

And, of course, you forget the fact that you don't buy a gun on its own
in DSII; you have to buy an entire vehicle as a single package. In the
current system, the cost of the gun and its FCS tends to be less than
half the total cost of the vehicle (and, from the designs I've seen so
far, more commonly around a quarter) which pushes the real cost ratios
between these two guns - installed in otherwise identical chassis - way
down.

It may be that Brian overshoots, of course - I haven't had time to
crunch the numbers on his idea yet, so I can't tell - but at least it
is a step in the right direction.

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: FB2 Typo Next: Re: DS2 Balance and stuff.