Prev: Re: [FT] AAR -- Cygnus Fleet Proving Exercise (long-ish) Next: Re: DS2 Balance and stuff.

Re: [OT] Have questions-setting up game shop

From: "Imre A. Szabo" <ias@s...>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 20:01:52 -0400
Subject: Re: [OT] Have questions-setting up game shop

Alderfek@aol.com wrote:

> Like said, I am just starting to look at what it is going to take. As
far as
> markets go,there is only one shop in town that carries anything and it
is all
> GW-based. Other than that the closest shop is an hour away from me. I
want to
> make the shop as broad-spectrum a place possible but still carry
product that
> people will buy.
> No figures yet, not sure where to go.
> Kirk

Go to the library and get books on starting-up small retail businesses.
Then get
all the data about the city you are planning on setting up.  The Chamber
of
Commerce should be very useful.  What is most important is population
data, laws
governing businesses in that area, tax laws, and zoning regulations (you
may not
be able to legally operate out of your garage).  Before you even decide
to start
this business you NEED to KNOW how many people are in the area, what age
groups,
income levels, typical hobbies for age groups in that area, crime rates,
rent
rates, utility rates, tax rates, competition in your business, etc.

You also had better be willing to work harder and longer then you have
probably
ever worked before, have good chance for success, and are willing to
make the
sacrifices necessary.  If you don't you will probably lose a lot of
money.	Also
if you have a wife/girlfriend/family, be sure they:
1.  understand what you are going to be doing
2.  accept how much time you will be working, near term reduction in
income, etc.

3.  are will support this decision for period of time long enough to get
your
business up and running smoothly.  This time period is dependent on many
conditions.

I worked for a start-up before; it's not easy.

IAS