Prev: RE: [SG2][DS2] Gauss Weapons vs. CPR Next: Re: [SG2][DS2] Gauss Weapons vs. CPR

Re: DS2 Balance and stuff.

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 11:28:51 PDT
Subject: Re: DS2 Balance and stuff.

>From: Graeme Bradbury <graeme.bradbury@btinternet.com>
>To: "'gzg-l'" <gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
>Subject: Re: DS2 Balance and stuff.
>Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 17:03:56 +0100
>
> >>But Hitech has the firepower increase. And i dont mean bigger guns.
> >>High tech HKP/4 has more firepower than a loTech HKP/4. Because
> >>the high tech is on a better chassis. It will tend to be firing at
>closer
> >>range, at side or rear armour, etc.
> >
> >How so? FireCon levels don't improve the quality of the chassis in
the
>game
> >at all. Last I checked, according to the rules, a Low tech tank, with

>basic
> >firecon, basic ECM, no stealth, and an HVC 3, if it's Fast Tracked,
has
>the
> >exact same movement ability as a High Tech tank, with Superior
FireCon,
> >Superior ECM, full stealth, sporting an MDC 5.  And this gives IT the
> >advantage, since closer ranges actually favor the Low Tech side
(Their
>odds
> >of hitting go up, while the High Tech side wants to hold the low
techs at
> >bay, out where the Hi Tech guns can hit and the Low Techs can't).
>
>You above example is medium tech, not high. Grav/Fast GEV is 25% or
250%
>faster depending on travel mode. Generally more because of additional
>advantage of easier terran choice

Splitting hairs. High Stealth levels, an MDC, Superior ECM and FireCon
all
seem like High Tech to me.  The choice of Fast Tracked may mean it's not

Highest of high tech, but it's still a fairly hi tech design.  Tracked
vehicles also have a few terrain advantages of their own, and for an
MBT,
their speed is quite acceptable (Though I do advocate Fast GEV/Grav for
recon and quick response forces).

>And as for the range advantage. (on average the below results are true)
>
>Basic fire control (stationary(half Move)/moving full)
>Short range against D8 target
>miss/miss
>
>Medium range against D8 target
>miss/miss
>
>Long range against D8 target
>miss/Can't Fire
>
>Superior fire control (stationary(half Move)/moving full)
>Short range against D8 target
>Hit/Hit
>
>Medium range against D8 target
>Hit/Miss
>
>Long range against D8 target
>Miss/Miss

No, on the average the above is NOT true.  A statistically low chance of

hitting should NOT be equated with "It will miss", this is courting
disaster.  At close range, against a D8 signature, Basic Firecon has an
even
chance of hitting.  And even at medium they have SOME chance.  Now, I
didn't
do well in my statistics class, but I do remember that the more often
you
try something, the more likely you are of getting any of the possible
results. Which means low tech forces, with their low chance of hitting,
are
going to hit, if they fire enough shots. And with more units out there,
they
WILL fire enough shots.

>So basically your average basic FC can't hit a barn door. And at long
range
>Sup
>FC needs luck to hit a MBT. The hi-techs speed advantage needs to be
used,
>get close to their target.

No, but they CAN hit the barn itself.  And Luck does happen.  Which is
why
superior range is as important as superior FireCon to a hi-tech force.

>I think you also mis-understood what i meant by close. Since close is
very
>relative to what you are armed with.

Close is relative, period.  It doesn't matter that your weapon has a
greater
range than your enemy, if he makes it into HIS close range. At that
point,
it becomes a matter of who is quicker on the draw.  Superior FireCon
should
have some way, besides accuracy, of reflecting a quicker response time.

High techs long range HEL's and MDC's have
>a close range on par with your average lo techs long or medium range.

A fact of which I'm fully aware.  But the discussion was the merits of
tinkering with FireCon, not the weapons themselves.

Brian Bilderback

Prev: RE: [SG2][DS2] Gauss Weapons vs. CPR Next: Re: [SG2][DS2] Gauss Weapons vs. CPR