Prev: Re: Lasers can't be defended against? Next: Re: DS2 Balance and stuff.(long and boring)

RE: Sensor Drones (was: Lasers can't be defended against?)

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 09:08:52 -0400
Subject: RE: Sensor Drones (was: Lasers can't be defended against?)

[Bri] I believe you meant omnidirectional. Unidirectional is
one-directional.
The problem with omnidirectional sources, as you indicated, is that they
illuminate everything in their area of effect. The problem with
unidirectional source is that it needs to know where the enemy is before
it
illuminates them. Now you could use a conical-area source on a drone
(illuminating an area that the enemy is suspected to be in), but
launching
the drone may provide your location to the enemy or you may have to use
expensive stealth/ECM on the drone, making them less expendable.
The above applies to detection rather than information gathering. If the
discussion is information gathering, please ignore the appropriate
comments.

Prev: Re: Lasers can't be defended against? Next: Re: DS2 Balance and stuff.(long and boring)