Prev: Re: Chainguns vs. Gatlings Next: Re: Chainguns vs. Gatlings

RE: DS2: IAVR and GMS/P

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 18:36:00 PDT
Subject: RE: DS2: IAVR and GMS/P

I recall objecting to giving GMS/P's any anti-infantry capability in
DSII.
While Owen gives a very good reason, I must confess that this reason
didn't
cross my mind, though it should have.  Let me reiterate my reasons:

A) Regular rifle elements already have IAVR's, which do have some
anti-infantry capability, yet they are not given a separate damage
capacity
vs. infantry.  My assumption was that this is because their capability,
like
that of the SAW, is already factored into the rifle element. (or, if we
follow Mr. Glover's excellent reasoning, they're not SUPPOSED to be
wasted
on infantry with so many vehicles around).  That means that a GMS/P
equipped
rifle element would ALSO factor THEM into it's basic damage capability,
since the GMS' are distributed NOT to improve their Anti-infantry
capability, rather to give them a little extra range anti-tank punch.

Furthermore, and more importantly,

B) GMS/P's are NOT just "IAVR's with a guidance package added".  They
have
greater range as well.	So a GMS/P's round uses up more space on
propellant
and guidance technology than a deadfired IAVR. I they are both
relatively
the same size, this means the GMS/P's warhead is decidedly smaller than
the
IAVR's.  Therefore, in order to have relatively the same ability to
damage
an armored vehicle, the GMS/P's warhead has to be designed specifically
for
anti-armor use, while an IAVR can employ a design which, while primarily

useful against armor, does have greater anti-infantry capability than a
GMS/P's warhead.

Brian Bilderback