Prev: Re: Lasers can't be defended against? Next: Re: Chainguns vs. Gatlings

Stabilization, was Tank ROF

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 18:03:36 PDT
Subject: Stabilization, was Tank ROF

I think ROF would help, but let's take into consideration something else
wanted to comment on today, and which you've brought up:

It seems to me that when it comes to quality of firecon, there is a Big
Three, a Holy Trinity if you will:  Accuracy, Rate of Fire, and
Stabilization.	Now, the original rules cover accuracy. We've been
hashing
out RoF. What about Stabilization.  I have for some been under the
impression, given to me by countless pundits on the topic, that one of
the
many, in fact an important one of the many reasons that tanks like the
M1,
Challenger, and Leo have over their predecessors is their ability to
fire on
the fly, instead of having to stop to fire.  There are times in DS II
when
it seems some house rule addressing this would come in handy. Let me
give
you an example:

Team Lotech moves it's tank platoon. Team Hitek's activation: Team
Hitek's
platoon is at point A, and they know that given the current tactical
situation, they really want to be at point B.  However, the best place
fire on the Lotek platoon is at point C.  Under current rules, Team
Hitek's
platoon must choose between point B and Point C.  But in real combat, a
tank
platoon might just zip on to point B, firing as it went. So in addition
any increased Rate of Fire, I propose the following rule (for turreted
vehicles only.	If anyone likes these, let me know, I have variants for
fixed arc guns):

Basic FireCon: May fire then move, or move up to half movement then
fire.

Enhanced FireCon: May Fire then move, or move then fire.

Superior FireCon:  May Fire then move, move then fire, or partial move,
fire, then finish movement.

Brian Bilderback