Prev: RE: Tank ROF, was Re: DS2 Balance Next: Re: Lasers can't be defended against?

Re: Tank ROF, was Re: DS2 Balance

From: rspainho <rspainho@m...>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 17:21:22 -0600
Subject: Re: Tank ROF, was Re: DS2 Balance

The Sutherlands wrote:

> Consider that the WWII tanks had to stop to get
> any kind of chance to hit their target while the Abrams can motor
along at
> 70mph taking pot shots at over a mile away with a decent to fair
chance of a
> hit is a big difference.

Er, no.  Sorry to be pedantic, but an M1-series tank won't do more than
45 mph
on a smooth surface, and while the tank would happily keep that pace
cross-country, the crew (except for the driver) would be smashed into
paste in
short order (no seatbelts, you see, and lots of sharp-edged protrubences
and
spikey bits).  Cross-country, the best you can do is ~25mph, depending
on
terrain.

As to accuracy, the weapon system will engage out to 3.5km with a 90%+
PH/PK, if
properly boresighted and layed.

I don't object to the rules as written (ie. ROF increases w/tech
lvl)...someone
asked if an Abrams had a higher effective ROF than a Sherman, and I
replied in
the negative.  In a game environment, it's cooler to have higher-tech
AFVs shoot
faster, so let the rule stand, by all means.

--Rich Spainhour

Prev: RE: Tank ROF, was Re: DS2 Balance Next: Re: Lasers can't be defended against?