Prev: Rates of fire (was DS2 Balance) Next: Tank ROF, was Re: DS2 Balance

Re: DS2 Balance

From: wargamergmw@j...
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 10:40:26 EDT
Subject: Re: DS2 Balance

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000 15:57:36 +1000 Beth Fulton
<beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au> writes:
>G'day guys,
<snip>

>a) I've got to be VERY aggressive if I'm using such a high tech force,
>rip
>in and grab the objectives flat chat before the low tech forces get a
>chance to react and then call it over then and not get greedy and wait
>for
>that one extra objective (or the scales get tipped).

"Common sense" often overlooked in games and real life.

>b) Chose targets very carefully, you may not have your (few) vehicles
>for
>long so while you've got them use them effectively (but then I guess
>that's
>just common military sense)

Noted.

>c) Use ortillery/artillery to slow them down (especially smoke, I took
>this
>a step further by running my pyroflame Daleks out as front line
>setting
>fire to the country side as they pass and so set up a screen I can try
>and
>hide behind a bit), once again probably common sense.

Noted.

>d) If you do have to slug it out for a particular spot, let the
>infantry
>(well in my case plain old Daleks) do all the hard work (take longer
>kill than vehicles), though supporting them with a few well placed
>vehicles
>in cover is a lot of help.

MORE "common sense".

>e) Pepper your squads with special teams carying LADs or Engineering
>teams
>(LADs because it severly curtails the "I'll just DFO you out of
>existence
>tactic" and Engineering as they double as my medics).

Excellent.  Especially the engineers doubling as medics.  I LOVE
engineers, especially using them in other then 'expensive infantry'
units.	Doubling as your medics, I like that.

>Do know if that's any help, but there you go. Having said that I'd
>love to
>see more ideas on recosting DS/fiddling-with-tech-tree (says she who's
>main
>walkers cost about 740 to 1530pts).
>
>Cheers
>
>Beth

-----
-----
>Elizabeth Fulton
>c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
>GPO Box 1538
>HOBART
>TASMANIA 7001
>AUSTRALIA
>Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
>Fax 03 6232 5053 International +61 3 6232 5053
>
>email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au

Beth, the essence of a good officer/commander is the ability to remember
(or even know) what is 'common sense' in combat.  Remind me never to
cross swords with you if I ever get to Australia or you get to Saint
Louis, MO, USA.

Gracias.
Glenn Wilson, Triple Threat Wargamer - (loses equally well in
SF/Fantasy/Historical Games.)  Prefers Fantasy Dwarves, Starguard
Science
Fiction, 1500-1700 North America Skirmishes, the First Crusade.

Prev: Rates of fire (was DS2 Balance) Next: Tank ROF, was Re: DS2 Balance