Prev: RE: 7.62 chaingun? was Re: UK Sabre CVR(T) type vehicle Next: Re: Fox (I THINK) Was Re: UK Sabre CVR(T) type vehicle

Re: 7.62 chaingun? was Re: UK Sabre CVR(T) type vehicle

From: "Robert W. Hofrichter" <RobHofrich@p...>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 21:04:34 -0400
Subject: Re: 7.62 chaingun? was Re: UK Sabre CVR(T) type vehicle

Excellent description of the differences between chain and gatling guns.
Just a to add a little bit:

Gatlings (or miniguns) tend to have VERY high rates of fire--in the
1200-3600 range(obviuosly, since the advantage of the design is that the
barrels don't overheat as easily as on a single-barreled weapon), wereas
chainguns are more sedate.

The 5.56mm gatling was known as the "GE six-pack" and was sometimes
mounted
on jeeps and the like.	Minigun more properly refers to the 7.62mm
version
(as this was introduced as a scaled-down version of the 20mm Vulcan,
hence a
"mini," IIRC).	Of course, then there's the awesome 30mm GAU-8, but
that's
another story in itself.

The 7.62 and the 20mm are used mostly on aircraft installations (though
the
20mm is used as the gun portion of the American Phalanx CIWS and the old
M113-based AA vehicle whose name escapes me at the moment).

Rob