Prev: Re: Detection vs Identification Next: Re: Drones and sensing passively IR

On drones (was Re: More EW, the celebration continues!)

From: "Anthony Leibrick" <a.leibrick@v...>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 16:48:19 +0100
Subject: On drones (was Re: More EW, the celebration continues!)

 To Laserlight
You are right. As you say the time delay is going to be roughly equal
between the target, drone and firer as between target and firer, but as
think its a good concept anyway, so I'm going to try a new argument in
its
defence.

Although the information time delay will be similar. The information
signal
between the drone and firer will be stronger and clearer, than the
reflected
signal coming of the target from the firer's targetting sensors and
therefore giving a better targetting solution
It may not be as accurate as the firer shooting  from the same position
as
the drone, but a certain amount of fudging is allowable, considering the
factors that are fudged, discounted or built into the die rolls in FT.

> Where a drone will help is when you:
>  a) happen to have maneuvered it close enough to a formerly
> unseen target that the drone can see it when the main ship
> can't;

I personally feel that	that ships are going to be so 'noisy' that if
they
are on the table they are 'located' there would be no 'unseen targets'
(unless behind a planetary body).

> b) when you want an expendable platform for active searches (or
> active ECM jamming); or

Yes to the jamming

> c) when you want cheap sensors so you can deploy a screen to
> cover a greater area than your ships can.

This is more likely a role in a strategic game.

Tony

It's Time to Take Advantage of the Internet.
Join AllAdvantage.com at
http://alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=LBY-249

Prev: Re: Detection vs Identification Next: Re: Drones and sensing passively IR