Prev: Re: The essence of miniatures Next: A Report actually from Australia, rather than about it.

Re: Hide-n-Seek in minis gaming

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 22:26:03 PDT
Subject: Re: Hide-n-Seek in minis gaming

This also brings up the question of how to handle, in a hidden game, the
use
of Reconnaissance by Fire (An interesting little concept I never thought
of
myself, I read about it in the HHandbook for Marines, and confirmed it
with
a coworker who is ex-marine) - basically, you find the answer to your
question by firing INTO that clump of trees. If it runs away, fires
back, or
bleeds, yes, it IS enemy infested. I brought it up with my marine
friend,
and his reply was, "What's even nicer is reconnaissance by Fire by
AIR....
(he had a particular affection, apparently common in the USMC, for his
brothers-in-arms who pilot helicopter gunships).

So how you handle this in a game? For DSII, I would suggest that any
time a
spot that potentially COULD hold enemy units comes under fire, you make
reaction test at a standard +1 threat level.  If the unit passes this
test,
or there's really nothing there, then nothing happens.	If the unit
fails
the test, it is revealed.  This maintains SOME of the mystery... Ok,
nothing
happened... does that mean there's noone there, or that there's someone
there, and they just have godlike testicles?

Brian Bilderback