Prev: Re: Active vs Passive Next: Re: Detection sources

Re: Detection sources

From: Nyrath the nearly wise <nyrath@c...>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 09:16:31 -0400
Subject: Re: Detection sources

Brian Quirt wrote:
> Another part of it may be re-entry - the shuttle was
> specifically designed to be well-INSULATED so that heat can't get in
> during re-entry, and this might have the effect of making it hard to
get
> heat OUT when in orbit)

	The shuttle's heat radiators are located on the
	*inside* of the cargo bay doors.
	So while in space, the doors are always open, so
	the ship does not roast.

	Upon re-entry, the doors close, protecting the
	radiators and cargo bay with the insulation on
	the exterior of the doors.

	IIRC, the radiators are pure I/R radiators,
	no mass is expelled.

Prev: Re: Active vs Passive Next: Re: Detection sources