Prev: [FT] - HH Missiles (was RE: EW) Next: RE: Website for Scratchbuilding Minis

Re: Active vs Passive

From: Brian Quirt <baqrt@m...>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 08:19:24 -0300
Subject: Re: Active vs Passive

Alan and Carmel Brain wrote:

> Let's figure out how you can detect an FT ship.
>
> PASSIVE
>
> Then, the PSB methods:
>   Occulting background radiation (ie you detect something
>   that's a little blacker than space)
>   EM (usually Infra-Red) Radiation from Hull
>   EM Radiation(Visible and Up) from Drive exhaust
>   Particle emission (though signal/noise would be very low)
>   Reflection of natural sources of radiation (ie Stars nearby)
>   Very energetic EM from weapons firing.
>   Moderately energetic EM from active sensors.
>   Forward Mass detector (relatively low range)

I like your list, but I'd add on one passive method: drive flares (ie
you light up your drive, you're putting out a LOT of energy (after all,
it's changing your course), and that's probably fairly detectable.
Otherwise, I think this list is an excellent base point.

-Brian Quirt

Prev: [FT] - HH Missiles (was RE: EW) Next: RE: Website for Scratchbuilding Minis