Prev: Re: Active vs Passive Next: Re: More EW, the celebration continues!

Re: More EW, the celebration continues!

From: BDShatswell@a...
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 20:23:27 EDT
Subject: Re: More EW, the celebration continues!

Aren't this kinda like Seaquest DSV's whiskers?

A neat idea I think!

Bill

Thomas Barclay mentioned:
<< Drones
 ---------
 UAVs for FT. I need a system to go active in order to lock on real hard
on a
 target. But when I spark it up, I say "shoot me" with a neon sign.
Solution?
 Drones. I launch my scan-drone (passive). When I need a firing
solution, I
 bring it active (it links to me via either a neutrino comm system or a
laser
 - neither of which is detectable by emission unless you are in line of
 transmission AFAIK) and I get the fire control solution without risking
my
 ship. You fire, you kill my drone. Oh woe is me. I have twenty or a
hundred
 or a thousand of them. Okay, if you think sensors are expensive, it
might
 not be cheap BUT it will be cheaper than losing my BB. And then this
data is
 (by similar hard to intercept/detect link) spread around the fleet of
 passive 'silent' ships.

Prev: Re: Active vs Passive Next: Re: More EW, the celebration continues!