Prev: Re: EW Question Next: Re: Active vs Passive

Re: Was Support Weapons in SGII now DSII

From: "John M. Atkinson" <john.m.atkinson@e...>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 14:52:45 -0400
Subject: Re: Was Support Weapons in SGII now DSII

Brian Bilderback wrote:

> The basic idea behind the SAVR is any unguided weapon that is A:
reloadable
> and B: Large enough to be crew serviced, as opposed to the one-man,
one-shot
> nature of IAVR's.

Hrm. . . given a universe with fairly small, cheap, smart electronics,
I'm not sure where it would fit since you can put a guidance system on
it and call it a GMS/L.  But for improvised weapons,
primitive/underindustrialized colony world, etc., it might have a role.
The other example off the top of my head is a Bazooka or a light
recoilless rifle.  (name doesn't fit, but the role does.  Think a 57mm
type).

> I've also been listening to SGII players talk about the GMS/P, and
wondering
> how to apply it to DSII.  There's no need for it as a support element,
since
> the GMS/L takes that place.  I suppose what you could do is come up
with
> ranges and damage and cost for it, and allow a rifle element to be
equipped
> with GMS/P's as anti-tank backup instead of with IAVR's for an
increased
> cost for the element.  Anyone who plays both games, care to comment on
that?

I could see doing that.  Say calling GMS/Ps 2 chits, validity as per
IAVRs, affected by APFCs, 12" range, can be jammed like other GMSs.  +10
or 20 points??

John M. Atkinson
Power Corrupts.  Absolute Power. . . is kinda neat.
		-UNK

Prev: Re: EW Question Next: Re: Active vs Passive