Prev: Flying Saucers (was We're No. '1' :) ) Next: RE: Active vs Passive

Re: Active vs Passive

From: Popeyesays@a...
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 14:34:29 EDT
Subject: Re: Active vs Passive

In a message dated 4/13/00 12:01:42 PM Central Daylight Time,
Brian_Bell@dscc.dla.mil writes:

<< Superconductors conduct two ways. Ambient solar radiation will heat
the
side
 of the spacecraft facing the system's star greater than the background.
You
 can't duct this with superconductors without the superconductors
heating and
 defeating the purpose of using them to direct the heat. If you trail
them
 into space to allow them to radiate the heat away, you have a glowing
arrow
 pointing to your ship. >>

In space there is nothing to conduct the heat. Superconductors and heat
sinks
could funnel the heat away from the potentially engaged side of your
vessel
and into space on the opposite side - the bulk of the ship itself would
mask
that heat release, would it not?

Prev: Flying Saucers (was We're No. '1' :) ) Next: RE: Active vs Passive