Prev: Re: Broken links in the FT Network, and missing people Next: RE: Active vs Passive

Re: Good books on Special Forces?

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 09:42:58 PDT
Subject: Re: Good books on Special Forces?

>From a U.S. perspective, I can only recommend two that I've actually
read
that are about units in general and not specific operations:

The Commandos (I'l look the author up when I get home today) - focuses
on
specific operations in the Gulf, but also gives a good overall coverage
of
three US units: The Navy SEALs, The Army's Special Forces, and the Air
Force's Special Operations Wing.  The writer was the first civilian
journalist allowed to observe both SEAL Hell Week AND the Special
Forces'
Robin Sage.

Marine! by Tom Clancy -
This is actually about the USMC, specifically a Marine Expeditionary
Unit
(Special Operations Capable), which TECHNICALLY isn't a spec ops unit,
but
try telling that to the Marines or anyone who's been on the receiving
end of
a MEU (SOC) beach party.

Brian Bilderback