Prev: Re: Test Message [IGNORE] Next: [OT] - GenCon Hotels?

Re: MT missiles and point costs

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 13:37:42 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: MT missiles and point costs

On 12-Apr-00 at 11:50, Oerjan Ohlson (oerjan.ohlson@telia.com) wrote:
> Roger Books wrote:
>
> >>19% (OK, 19.444444....%) is the average percentage of systems
> >>knocked out by an EMP hit against one specific screen level. I've
> >>already posted which one <g>
> >
> >I'm not fishing for answers, the fact that this is one shield is
> >fairly obvious to anyone who has had a statistics class or gamed
> >enough to need to understand statistics.
>
> <g> This time you got it right. But what caused your initial comment
> about my having to "assume a distribution of ships with varying levels
> of shields"? ;-)

Not liking to make assumptions.  The assumption that you have an
average shielding level doesn't make sense to me.  You might get
me to agree with an average shield level versus NAC I could probably
get along with.  Sometimes when you abstract statistics out to far
they cease to have any real meaning.  Of course, your call as to
where that point is would probably be different than my point.	I
have noticed that people who are heavily into number crunching tend
to number crunch way past the point where there is no point.

> >(I like my opponents to be thrust 3 or less. :)
>
> As long as they use human-style drives and you play Cinematic I agree
> :-/

Thrust 3 in vector versus SMs isn't much of a win either.

Roger

Prev: Re: Test Message [IGNORE] Next: [OT] - GenCon Hotels?