Prev: Re: my EW rules/ideas Next: EW

Re: [OT] Starwars Ep 1 Video now DVD topic

From: JEREMY CLARIDGE <jeremy.claridge@k...>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 09:28:28 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: [OT] Starwars Ep 1 Video now DVD topic

On Sun, 9 Apr 2000, Donald Hosford wrote:

> One of my pet peeves is the movie industry encoding the DVD's to
maintain their
> "regions of distribution".
>
> I also heard that some of the DVD players have "hidden" modes to play
any
> DVD...One company has allready gotten itself into trouble over
this...:-)

Some players have codes that you can enter using the remote

> > But I agree!  I'm torn between my loyalty for the SW universe and
the desire
> > to buy and watch high quality reproduction of movies I enjoy.  Not
buying
> > EP1 on VHS is a way for people to re-enforce how upset fans were
when Lucas
> > said the trilogies would not be on DVD until all the movies were
complete.

> > I still haven't decided on a bootleg DVD from China or wait for
2005/6.  =o/

Well I bought a multi regin DVD player for many reasons (not from china
:)

a. I can buy region 1 DVD's upto 6 months before the UK/european cinema
release.
b. the obvious picture and sound quality (although some are straight
conversions from video!)
c. most of my video collection has degraded over time (I give videos
about 5 year life span).

As for SW on DVD I read that Lucas is not releasing it because he wants
to oversee what goes on the DVD and how it's presented blah blah blah.
Either his attempts to control his star wars creation has become
an obsession or he is going for the money grabbing marketing ploy.

Either way I think he's finally lost it. I am not buying the Phantom
Menace until the DVD comes out. (I'm sorry but the film isn't worth
buying twice).

Jeremy
Jeremy.claridge@kcl.ac.uk

Prev: Re: my EW rules/ideas Next: EW