Prev: Re:Sensor rules Next: Re: EW

RE: EW

From: Andrew.Kelman@a...
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 08:20:39 +1000
Subject: RE: EW

Some other goals include possibly should include;
-maintain the existing balance between races and strategies
-maintain the rock/scissors/stone approach

>Various goals have been stated, and can be summed up as:
>	1) Keep (a basic) system simple
>	2) Use classed (Class-1, Class-2, etc) systems so as to permit
>scaleability and to follow FT doctrine
>	3) Use d6 so that all those poor FT-only players who only have
D6
>don't have to buy more dice <*wink*>
>	<I'm only kidding - FT has a D6 flavor to it so it makes
sense...>
>	4) Not invalidate existing designs.

How about allowing all ships to engage in ElectronicWarfare as desired,
but
require them to plot it like the FTL activation? This requires all of
the
ships power and so prevents offensive firing and (maybe) maneouver. The
effectiveness of the action might then depend on the size of the ship
that
is dedicating itself to the task.

>What possible areas do we need to cover:
>Search Sensor Suites
>Fire Control Suites
>Stealth
>Decoys
>Jammers
>Cloaking Devices
>Doppelganger Systems
>Civilian Systems (assuming they differ from military)
>Active vs. Passive
>EMCON levels

Thus, A ship could 'Cloak' itself to provide more resistance to attack,
at
the cost of its own attack. A ship could activate 'active sensors' to
detect
cloaked ships, on behalf of the nearby fleet members, or to detect
distant
ships. Maybe a ship could illuminate itself to act as a decoy,
attracting
attacks otherwise fired at a nearby comrade, as per a
decoy/doppelganger.
Possibly some advanced electronic warfare techniques might allow the
jamming
of enemy area-defence fire-controls, providing pulse-torpedo decoys,
penetrating screens (by detecting the flicker, for example), disrupting
fighters.

Andrew

Prev: Re:Sensor rules Next: Re: EW