Prev: My Attempt at Simple EW/Sensors Next: RE: DS II: Rambling as usual, this time about infantry and walkers and stuff

RE: EW/Sensors (simple rules)

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <schoon@a...>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2000 07:51:28 -0700
Subject: RE: EW/Sensors (simple rules)

Brian Bell wrote:

>Assumption 4) Want to keep within the GZG staging system
>	       for EW (Basic, Enhanced, Superior)

I agree with all the assumptions I snipped except for this one.

I personally prefer modifying the MT staging system to a Class based
system, similar to beams. This is less restrictive and allows for (as in
the case of beams) infinite scalability. In other words I can make my
sensors as powerful as I want - so long as I've got MASS and POINTS to
spend.

>EW Capability: 	 # Dice Rolled:
>Basic			       1
>Enhanced		       2
>Superior		       3

Change this to Class 1, 2, and 3, and I'm all for it. It would then
allow
for Class 4 with 4 dice, etc.

>Procedure:
>Determine EW level for the attacker:

Why not just base this on the type of sensors ONLY. I see no real reason
add FCS into the equation. I egree with previous comments made
concerning
the artificial addition of FCSs to Fleet scouts just to get benefits.

>Determine the EW level for the target:

I prefer having the "sensor pool" be the same for both. Your EW
capability
determines level for attacker and target.

This eliminates this entire step. ANY ship's EW level is simply the type
of
system it has.

It also requires alot of dice rolling if each ship needs to pair off
with
every other ship for EW. It would be simpler to have the EW dice somhow
slaved to range.

Schoon