Prev: Re: BDS Next: Australian Shipment of FB2

Re: EW/Sensors (simple rules)

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@d...>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2000 10:33:27 +1000
Subject: Re: EW/Sensors (simple rules)

From: "Roger Books" <books@mail.state.fl.us>

> I guess what I am mostly getting at is I do not, in any way shape or
> form, want to re-create SFB EW.  It is fine for a 2 ship duel, I
> want to avoid all the die rolling it requires for a fleet action.
> If I want to manage power and play EW fire control defeating games
> I'll play SFB.  If I want a fleet game I want FT, whose primary
> design rules seems to have been KISS.

Good Points. Perhaps something that's about as simple as the EW
rules for Federation and Empire? The "best ship" of a fleet determines
the detection range of the fleet, but this may be modified by unusual
circumstances.

Standard Detection Distance 6 at which time you get FC quality
data. This is the Fire Control Distance - FCD.

+1 if you have a Scout System on one of your ships
-1 if enemy has a Jammer on one of his ships

Then individually
-1 if enemy ship has a jammer on it
-1 on enemy that didn't use thrust
-1 on enemy that didn't fire

Multiply FCD by 12" to get the actual distance.

This way a "silent running" jammer will get FC data on it at 36" if you
have a scout, 24" if not.

New Systems required:
Improved ("Scout") sensors Mass ?? Cost ??
Jammer Mass ?? Cost ??

OPTIONAL:
You get data:
Actual Status (ie which boxes crossed off) at FCD-1
SSD at FCD+1
Mass at FCD+2
Something There but dunno what at FCD+3

Normal Circumstances (no jammers etc) then are:

Ships start not firing weapons so FCD is 5.
You get a "blip" at 8 (96")
You get mass at 7 (84")
You get SSD at 6 (72")
And can fire, assuming you have a beam big enough, at 5 ("60")

Comments, anyone?

Prev: Re: BDS Next: Australian Shipment of FB2