Prev: Re: FB2 Status??? Next: Re: FB2 Status???

Re: DS2: Vehicle Design Philosphy

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 16:33:24 PDT
Subject: Re: DS2: Vehicle Design Philosphy

I've come up with a few design philosophies of my OWN, but I don't know
how/where they'd fit into the official timeline..

Here's one I suggest someone apply, perhaps to a colony or lesser power:

I call it the "Universal Chassis" Philosophy. The idea is to base all or

almost all of a force's vehicles on the same chassis. This means the
class,
engine type, and mobility type would all be the same, with variations on
the
weapons/equipment on each according to it's mission.

While this might be a little limiting for a major power, it's ideal for
smaller state or colony on a limited budget (the idea is used by the
Spartans in Pournelle's Prince Of Mercenaries series. There are also
several
real life examples of vehicles taking on this kind of life - like the
British Scorpion).  Uniformity of the chassis makes it easy to
accelerate
production, as well as simplifying logistics and repair. you simply pump
out
a bunch of chassis, then equip them with the appropriate shell for the
necessary variant.  These will, depending on the user, tend to be
wheeled or
tracked vehicles, in the class 2-3 range, though you'll occasionally see
class 1 or 4 vehicle on this theme, perhaps even in a GEV, but I doubt
you'd
see anyone who can afford Grav technology or class 5-7 vehicles needing
resort to this strategy, except perhaps for second line/reserves units.

Brian B