Prev: Re: Airbrushing, masking, and Frisket Next: Re: That MP3 Soundtrack...

Re: Airbrushing, masking, and Frisket

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <schoon@a...>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 08:18:09 -0700
Subject: Re: Airbrushing, masking, and Frisket

>1) Someone please explain to me why I'd want (and what is) a double
action
>airbrush over a so called single action one? What other features should
>look for in an airbrush/compressor? I want to buy a good one.

A doublt action airbrush allows control of both air and paint flow, by
pressing down and pulling back on the "trigger" respectively. They allow
much more precise control in you painting. I have an Iwata which I like
very much. With a little practice you can easily get a flow less than
1/4
inch wide.

>2) Frisket - where would I find these sheets? Art supply? Drafting?
Some
>other place?

Yes to all portions of this question. Art supply might be your best bet,
though.

>3) Masking - one way to get mask off without the paint that may be
attached
>is to run your exacto carefully along the edges prior to peeling, thus
>slicing off any paint and preventing "pickup" of paint from the model.
Now,
>in less-than-flat areas, this is non-trivial, but on larger flat areas,
it
>is a viable technique. I just don't bother masking anymore... too much
pain,
>too little gain. Paint more carefully. <Hard with an airbrush>

I prefer masking as well as possible with tape and then touching up
afterwards. By directing the paint away from the edge of the tape, you
get
less "spray" under the edge.

>4) Airbrush paints - Must I buy a whole new set of paints? I have
Tamiya and
>Humbrol and Ral Partha paints galore... must these be added to with
another
>whole set for an airbrush? Or is thinning and using them an option? If
so,
>how much to thin, or with what?

You can use the paints you have. Thinning them is indeed an option. For
water based paints use water (I've heard that adding a VERY small amount
of
detergent helps for thinning). For others you might want to consider
airbrush thinner (Testors sells this among others).

Schoon

Prev: Re: Airbrushing, masking, and Frisket Next: Re: That MP3 Soundtrack...