Prev: Re: Top Ten List was Re: KV Language Next: Re: Top Ten List was Re: KV Language

DSII Ideas/questions: ADS, FO's,

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 22:35:32 PST
Subject: DSII Ideas/questions: ADS, FO's,

I had a couple of ideas/questions concerning DSII.  This time, they're
all
about the game and it's rules, not their comparison to real life (as we
know
it, Jim). Here goes, feel free to answer:

How do other players (besides myself) determine how many ADS vehicles to

deploy? Do you attach them to support units, tank units, or saend them
out
on their own with an escort or two? When not starting hidden, do you
usually
start the game with them activated, and only turn them off when they
start
to draw a crowd, or start with them off and activate them once the flies

start buzzing?

How many specialized Spotter elements do most people deploy per
artillery
battery available?

It seems to me that under most circumstances, the only actions besides
movement that ADS vehicles take during their OWN activation is to 1:
Turn
the ADS on 2: Turn the ADS off 3: Tell the ADS they have a headache
(sorry)
er 3: Fire an inactive ADS as a RFAC.  They seem to be busiest during
ENEMY
activations (reasonable).  According to the rules, an ADS while
activated
can respond to attacks even after it's unit has used it's activation. So
had an idea, let's see what everyone else thinks:  Train your ADS crews
in
Artillery spotting. That way, if, on their activation, their ADS is
already
on and they want to LEAVE it on, they're available to use to call in
arty.
I think it's legal, but I suspect it's also mildly cheesy. Input?

Other than that, I'm considering training NONE of my HBT/MBT crews in
artillery spotting, training ONE of my APC crews per platoon, and
training
ALL of the crews in my	mechanized recce platoons. Is this about right,
or
overkill?

Lastly, a comment. I was rummaging through the used bins at my local
gaming
store today, picked up some cool vehicles. Found a T-80, trimmed off the

barrels, cut the barrel to make it a HEL, voila! a new tank. Anyway, the

most interesting thing I found was this little round piece of plastic,
about
the size of an American or Canadian .25 coin. Cast on top of it was this

little tiny village - almost exactly in DSII groundscale. You can make
out a
road that splits in the middle of town, a stone bridge over a small
stream,
a mill, a church, a farm complex with a stone wall and a ploughed field,
and
a couple other buildings. It's tiny (the Soviet Sagger BRDM I picked up
looms over it like an OGRE), but cool. I figure if I put it on the map,
It's
so small I'd have to treat it as one building for game rules. Does
anyone
know what game it came from?   There were a few there. I only bought
one,
the only one that had been painted. But if anyone else wants one, let me

know. I'm sure I could pick the other 2 or 3 up for less than a dollar.

Brian B

Prev: Re: Top Ten List was Re: KV Language Next: Re: Top Ten List was Re: KV Language