Prev: Re: [DS2] While we're on the subject of firing arcs.... Next: Re: Combat Movies / Viet Nam

Re: B5 style drives

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 17:02:00 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: B5 style drives

On 20-Mar-00 at 16:15, Oerjan Ohlson (oerjan.ohlson@telia.com) wrote:
> Roger Books wrote:
>
> >We've been toying with the idea of going to B5 style drives, and
> >what we're looking at is as follows.
> >
> >A drive costs 4% of the mass of your ship +3% per thrust.
>
> [examples snipped]
>
> >Any thoughts?
>
> 1) How do you handle thrust-1 engines? Are they halved when damaged,
or
> do they go down completely (as a single thrust-1 engine does in the
> published rules)?
>
> 2) Multiple engine modules take more DCP rolls to repair when they're
> damaged.
>
> Regards,
>
> Oerjan Ohlson
> oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

We've been playing with the numbers and it looks like 5% fixed +
3% per thrust point.

Thrust	      2     4	   6
Drives
   1	      11%   17%   23%
   2	      16%   22%   28%
   3	      ---   27%*  33%
   4	      ---   32%   38%**

*assumes one thrust 2 and 2 thrust 1s
** assumes two thrust 2s and 2 thrust 1s

A single drive goes down when it fails a threshold.  You have no thrust.
If you have two drives and they both go down it would take two
repair rolls to bring them back up.  If you have 3 drives and all
three go down then three repair rolls.	Your single drive destroyers
gain 7%, 2 or 3 mass, which is worthwhile.  Your two-drive bigger
ships lose a bit at thrust 4 and gain a bit at thrust 6.  The numbers
might still need to be tweeked.

Roger

Prev: Re: [DS2] While we're on the subject of firing arcs.... Next: Re: Combat Movies / Viet Nam