Prev: Re: Liberal/Conservative Next: Re: Stats and other strangeness

Re: A film I forgot

From: Popeyesays@a...
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 15:45:50 EST
Subject: Re: A film I forgot

In a message dated 3/18/00 9:55:35 AM Central Standard Time,
bbilderback@hotmail.com writes:

<< The Lighthorsemen. Thank you for reminding me of another excellent
movie.
 And as mad as the cavalry charge was, I seem to recall that infantry
tactics
 of that day were equally mad.

Infantry tactics on the Western Front were indeed insane (with the
exception
of German infiltration tactics). Hate to burst your bubble but the
Austalian
Light Horse were NOT cavalry - they were mounted infantry, carrying
rifles
and bayonets. The reason they were not fired on early in the charge by
artillery was the Germans and Turks were waiting for them to dismount
and
advance on foot. They did NOT want to kill the horses because horses
require
water and to kill the horses would reduce the amount of water the unit
would
require in the desert around Abraham's Wells. They did not wave sabers,
they
waved their bayonets (a poor subistute forsabers, but a brilliant
tactical
ploy in the situation).

Prev: Re: Liberal/Conservative Next: Re: Stats and other strangeness