Prev: Re: Combat films Next: Re: Libel

Re: Mission to Mars

From: JohnDHamill@a...
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 00:51:32 EST
Subject: Re: Mission to Mars

In a message dated 3/16/00 1:38:48 PM Central Standard Time,
agoodall@interlog.com writes:

<< The moment I saw the men standing around in a circle, firing at a bug
in
the
 middle, I started laughing my arse off and realized Verhoven was
laughing at
 Heinlein. Now, to be honest, I DO think that Heinlein fans deserve a
serious
 treatment of Starship Troopers. But I also think that most sci-fi fans
(who
 tend to be a very conservative lot) give his views far too much
credence.

Yeah, I laughed at that myself. "Sir, I'm sorry to report a 50% casualty

rate." "What happened, lieutenant? Bug ambush?" "No sir, friendly fire."

The thing about his views, there is the typical "he was a fascist vs. he
was
right!" thing for so long it's gotten very funny. No one really looks at
the
time he wrote the book, and the audience it was written for. It was
written
in the 50's, for an audience who remembered WWII, most of the people
they
knew were veterans, or contributed to the war effort in some way. A
society
that based the right to vote on military service wasn't very far-fetched
them, they were practically living in such a society. Looking back with
our
Y2K sensibilities, where the society as a whole tends to pretty much
military service, or give it and veterans mere lip service, we can laugh
at
such a prediction. Just my .02 cents...

John
JohnDHamill@aol.com