Prev: Re: USA vs Canada : Full Metal Americas Next: RE: was: PDS vs. IAVR/LAW/SMAW/etc.

Re: SMs revisited

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 19:50:17 -0500
Subject: Re: SMs revisited

>counting P-torps.  I have managed to hit with 90+% of my
Salvos,
>destroying 3 CE's and a couple of destroyers.
(snip)
>So am I doing something wrong?  Is using 3 missiles to take out
>a Furious CE a bad thing?

Yes.  IMO, a DD isn't worth shooting SMR's and a CE isn't worth
3.  You'd be better to pound on his heaviest ships:
a) they're most likely to be screened, which SMR ignores
b) you're not as likely to overkill them (doing 48 damage to a
10 hull box frigate, for example.  I was muttering "Just an inch
to the left...jut an inch to the left..." for the rest of that
game.  And the drive home.  And four hours after I got home).
c) BB's are likely to be slower, thus easier to hit.

So let's assume you plant 3 of 4 SMR's on his BB.  That will
probably make your picture a lot more pleasant.  Even if you
miss, though, if you have 32 beams and he has 35, then you've
probably got an advantage in how much damage-absorption capacity
you have left.	Roll 6's.

(Or maybe not.	If this is his first game, you may want to die
valiantly after a hard fight--best way to keep him interested in
another game.  Strategy, not tactics).

Prev: Re: USA vs Canada : Full Metal Americas Next: RE: was: PDS vs. IAVR/LAW/SMAW/etc.