Prev: Re: Mission to Mars Next: Re: PDS vs. IAVR/LAW/SMAW/etc.

Re: PDS/ADFC/ADS

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 19:37:22 +0100
Subject: Re: PDS/ADFC/ADS

Thomas Barclay wrote:

> 1. ADS killing does not seem like cheese. It seems like a viable
thing
> to do. Look at it this way - you end up spending a rack of resources
> do the job. So they aren't spent on other things. And killing ADS
opens
> up the enemy force to other engagements.
>
>2. Oerjan's comments about CG and some other rounds not being
>stoppable (or HKPs) I do have to ask him to re-examine.

Sorry? When did I say that CG rounds are unstoppable? Please quote the
exact words, for I have never intended to say so and am fairly certain
that I haven't.

Going through my "sent mail" bin, the closest I can find is

"Mind you, *none* of the CG rounds go fast enough to be unstoppable by
point defence, and neither do any other HEAT missiles."

The exact opposite of what you claim that I've said, and I'm NOT going
to reconsider this. Please be just a *little* more careful with your
attributions in the future.

What I *have* said is that TODAY'S AFV PDS systems (ie, ARENA and
DROZD) are (probably) unable to deflect LONG-ROD PENETRATORS. Long-rods
move approx. five times faster than a CG round - or, for that matter,
than a 16" projectile does at the end of a long-range trajectory.

The CG does not fire a long-rod penetrator.

No regards this time.

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Mission to Mars Next: Re: PDS vs. IAVR/LAW/SMAW/etc.