Prev: PDS/ADFC/ADS Next: Re: Mission to Mars (Spoilers)

Re: PDS vs. IAVR/LAW/SMAW/etc.

From: "Andrew Martin" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 21:19:14 +1300
Subject: Re: PDS vs. IAVR/LAW/SMAW/etc.

Brian B wrote:
> Along the same lines, what about the rule that ADS accuracy is
diminished
the more GMS' it has to take out in one attack? Does this includes
attacks
on the ADS vehicle itself?

Yes.

> If this is the case, an ADS vehicle would be less capable of defending
ITSELF than is a regular vehicle that is PDS-equipped. Doesn't seem to
quite
make sense. However, if that IS the rule, it presents a beautiful way of
taking out an ADS. Launch a whole flock of GMS' at once - in active
mode,
the ADS would have only it's own fire to protect it, since it's Stealth
ability and ECM are nil while it's active. It can only take out so many,
and
the rest would have an easy time hitting it. And GMS' are pretty cheap.
You
could equip one specialized platoon, maybe fast, small GEV's or VTOL's
(Which could then stand off), specifically as ADS hunter-killers.  Mind
you,
this does, IMHO, border on cheese (Heck, it's practically swimming in
Gouda), but does seem to be well within the rules.

This tactic is practised in modern naval warfare and is called
"flooding".
It overloads the target with too many missiles to shoot down all at
once.
See also the recent FT thread on MT Missiles and Banzai Jammers for an
analogous approach.

While multiple GMS can take down a ADS vehicle, I prefer toss DFO or GMS
so
that the "tossing" vehicle doesn't go near the ADS/s and doesn't suffer
from
morale problems. With my rules extensions on HEL equipped ADS/ZAD, and
the
consequent increase of range to 60 inches, the DSII table top is a scary
place for Aerospace and VTOL vehicles.

Andrew Martin
Caution: Weirdly realistic DSII rules user...
ICQ: 26227169
http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/
-><-

Prev: PDS/ADFC/ADS Next: Re: Mission to Mars (Spoilers)