Prev: Mission to Mars Next: Re: Mission to Mars (Spoilers)

Re: PDS vs. IAVR/LAW/SMAW/etc.

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 21:10:45 PST
Subject: Re: PDS vs. IAVR/LAW/SMAW/etc.

That STILL leaves the problem, of course, of how to allow for ADS fire
vs
IAVR's.... unless you just do the same thing, but that's kinda pushing
it.
Seems more likely that and ADS should just plain shoot the sucker down.

Along the same lines, what about the rule that ADS accuracy is
diminished
the more GMS' it has to take out in one attack? Does this includes
attacks
on the ADS vehicle itself?  If this is the case, an ADS vehicle would be

less capable of defending ITSELF than is a regular vehicle that is
PDS-equipped. Doesn't seem to quite make sense. However, if that IS the
rule, is presents a beautiful way of taking out an ADS.  Launch a whole
flock of GMS' at once - in active mode, the ADS would have only it's own

fire to protect it, since it's Stealth ability and ECM are nil while
it's
active. It c an only take out so many, and the rest would have an easy
time
hitting it. And GMS' are pretty cheap.	You could equip one specialized
platoon, maybe fast, small GEV's or VTOL's (Which could then stand off),

specifically as ADS hunter-killers.  Mind you, this does, IMHO, border
on
cheese (Heck, it's practically swimming in Gouda), but does seem to be
well
within the rules.

One interesting note on this tactic, I may have mentioned this before,
but I
have a friend who was a LAV-25's gunner in a Mech Recon platoon.  We
once
discussed Soviet ZSU's, and he informed me that they were target #1 for
his
unit.  In any combat situation, his platoon would have deployed and
expended
every ATM they had in their arsenal to take the beast out.

As for the dilemma the Germans had of the difficulty of timing two shots
so
well, why not mount a light vehicle with a dual launcher system whose
trigger circuitry was designed to fire with the delay already programmed
in?

Brian B