Prev: Re: In Search Of: Next: Ferreting out subgroups

Re: PDS vs. IAVR/LAW/SMAW/etc.

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 19:10:10 +0100
Subject: Re: PDS vs. IAVR/LAW/SMAW/etc.

Brian Bilderback wrote [about letting PDS "count as" APFC against
IAVRS]

> Hmmmm.... hey, that's a good idea.  Mind if I use it?

No problem - that's why I posted it <g>

Laserlight wrote:

> Oerjan wrote:
> >You're way behind. The Russians have beaten all of these in AFV
> >applications.
>
> That's according to Russian reports, right?  Is there
> independent corroboration?

Does the German army count? <g> They've tested at least one of these
systems (IIRC the ARENA, but don't quote me on that - 'twas some time
since I read that Soldat und Technik, and my German isn't the best),
and it seems to have lived up to the claimed specs. The Germans found
that it was possible to defeat the "PDS" system by firing a pair of
ATGMs with a split-second delay (again IIRC less than 0.2 seconds), but
they also noted that this isn't easily accomplished in the field with
their current equipment :-/

Adrian Johnson wrote:

>Ignoring the Slammers, one could suggest that perhaps the rocket (or
>whatever) propulsion systems of these weapons are so zoomie that the
>projectile travels too fast to be engaged.

Can't do that from a carried weapon unless the projectile is guided
somehow, unfortunately - you either get piss-poor accuracy or an
injured gunner if you try :-(

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: In Search Of: Next: Ferreting out subgroups