Prev: Re: DS II Infantry vs vehicles Next: Re: PBeM new tactics

Re: PBeM new tactics

From: Indy <kochte@s...>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 11:14:34 -0500
Subject: Re: PBeM new tactics

Laserlight wrote:

> >>Many of us here are used to playing on a table measure in
> inches.
> >>It is rather amazing what happens once you go to large scales.
> >
> >[snip]
>
> Oerjan intoned:
> >Yet another convert to the True Path :-)
> >
> >This is one of the few situations where size actually does make
> >difference...
>
> It is possible to have too much of a good thing, though.
>
> Which is irrelevant to the discussion of FT scale, of course.  I
> notice that in FTF play, in inches, there is less maneuvering
> than there is in PBeM games.	I haven't gotten up to 30 MU
> velocities yet, but at least the plan isn't "they'll charge us,
> we'll charge them, and we'll meet in the middle in a horrendous
> crash."  This may be a function of table size, or it may just be
> a function of playing time.

Could be both. I've found when I've played on the floor that we've
maneuvered a *lot* more (although our velocities haven't reached
'Oerjan Speeds'  ;-)  than when we've played on tables. More often
than not I suspect the edge of tables sets up a psychological
'boundary' that players feel they cannot send their ships beyond
(though in at least two games at GZG-ECC players who had ships
going off the table were accomodated - either by the addition of
another table ("Berserker"), or floating the map ("Mission of Merci")
A little more time-consuming, but not much. Next year I'm seriously
considering doing a game on the floor, rather than on a table.

Mk

Prev: Re: DS II Infantry vs vehicles Next: Re: PBeM new tactics