Prev: Re: I wanna scenario Next: Re: GZG _West Coast_ Con - Coming Soon ...

Re: [OT] Ships & Spheres...or 3D representation

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 11:21:51 +1000
Subject: Re: [OT] Ships & Spheres...or 3D representation

G'day,

>It is an interesting concept, though I've never had much success trying
model
>it.  What I think might work, or what I'm thinking of trying next.
>- Mount a small brass tube on the underside of the model,
unobtrusively.
A rod
>then slots to the tube and mounts on the elevation pole.
>- There ought to be two fulcrum points.  One left to right, handled by
the
tube
>mount.  Another up and down, provided by the rod to elevation pole.
>- I imagine the elevation pole ought to be say no more than 12" to
increase
>stability and reduce the impact a model might take when knocked over.
>
>Has anyone else had other successes or failures in this area?

I've seen something very similar done for WWI airplanes, thoug I've
never
tried it myself. What we ended up doing plane wise was saying xmu (in
our
case 100s or 1000s of feet depending on the game and scale) represented
height level and you moved up/down through them in the same way you move
along in horizontal mode. Then there was a set distance and number of
height levels that weapons could fire through (e.g. dropping brick on
guys
head, you had to be directly above and no more than 3 height levels
distant, firing a Lewis or whatever you had to be no more than one
height
level and 3mu away et etc.). Worked pretty well. Sorry if that was a
repeat
of what's gone before, I haven't had a chance to keep up with the
thread.

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax 03 6232 5053 International +61 3 6232 5053

email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au

Prev: Re: I wanna scenario Next: Re: GZG _West Coast_ Con - Coming Soon ...