Prev: Re: SG2 Scenario Repository Needed? Next: Stargrunt II FAQ

RE: [SG] at 15mm (The Joys of Sixmm) [CLEAN STAMP]

From: "Glover, Owen" <oglover@m...>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 20:01:18 +1000
Subject: RE: [SG] at 15mm (The Joys of Sixmm) [CLEAN STAMP]

Hmm, actually from your original post I would be inclined to agree that
exactly equally matched forces have LESS of a chance of a successful
game
exactly because it will come down to dice.

I think it might be a case of how we define a successful game too.
Pitting
your own numerically smaller force against a larger force but with
perhaps
time on your side (or some other balancing factor) and managing to
outwit/outmanouvre your opponent is one measure of success. Another
might be
pushing your numerically superior force against a smaller more
determined
opponent; you have numbers and fanatacism on your side perhaps and the
joy
in the game is in keeping in character with your force rather than the
simple acheiving of an objective!

Our group must have played out about 75 scenario based games over the
last
15 months playing out our mini campaign; all 'balanced' but every one
with
disparate sized forces, ranging from two squads of Recon troops caught
afoot
by hoards of Hill Tribes to a convoy of APCs and supply veh's ambushed
by 6
Walkers!

I don't think any of them finished without one of us muttering a comment
like "..I should have really gone around the other flank...." rather
than
"If I hadn't have rolled a 1 on that morale check....". Any game
involving
dice will eventually have a crappy game because of a bad run of "1"s but
that is going to be the exception rather than the rule.

Our big games are fun because we have more people playing and we can
'heckle' as a group perhaps but certainly just not because we have more
squads on the table. That example scenario of two squads versus 6 Hill
Tribes was a really enjoyable game! Even though the Recon troops lost
50%
casualties they won! Why? Their objective was acheived whilst preventing
the
Hairy Headed lot acheiving theirs and the Recon guys had the crappy dice
rolls!?

We work hard to make our games enjoyable and varied,

That's why we keep playing even if we "lose" more than we win.

Cheers,

Owen