Prev: Re: NBC Next: SG2 Scenario Repository Needed?

Re: [SG] at 15mm (The Joys of Sixmm) [CLEAN STAMP]

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@i...>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 11:34:39 -0500
Subject: Re: [SG] at 15mm (The Joys of Sixmm) [CLEAN STAMP]

On Sat, 26 Feb 2000 23:49:49 -0500 (EST), sportyspam@harm.dhs.org wrote:

>  6 squads 4-10 members and a couple vehicles/side seem to be too
>dependant on dice rolls still.  A couple lucky penetrations on the
armor
>and maybe a squad advantage means the other side unlikly to be able to
>recover.  Spending a couple hours to have a game basically decided by a
>couple 1's being rolled, and at non-critical times to boot, isn't
>really cheering.

That's interesting. This is the size of game I usually play. I haven't
noticed
this. In the games I've played, position and tactical mistakes usually
rule
the game. True that the occasional bad suppression removal roll, or
lucky
penetration, can have a big effect. The scenarios I writer don't usually
revolve around something that can be eliminated easily with one lucky
shot.

Most of my games have been some sort of "get off the table" game.
Ambushes,
engineers destroying a facility, and most recently an evacuation
scenario.
After playing it a couple of times I can usually come up with a range of
victory conditions. The evac scenario, for instance, gives one player a
decisive win if 25+ figures are removed, minor victory if 20 to 24 are
removed, a draw if 11 to 19 are removed, and a loss if less than that
are
removed. Sometimes the difference between a major and a minor victory
can come
down to one lucky roll, but with this approach I've rarely seen one or
two
unlucky rolls mean the difference between winning and losing. (I HAVE
seen a
chain of bad rolls do that, but that's what happens with a game
containing a
luck element.)

Stargrunt scenario design is a skill in and of itself, however. I have
two on
my web site. Once I've playtested the two I am creating for GenCon, I'll
include those as well.

I have thought of creating a repository for Stargrunt scenarios on my
web
site. If anyone has some scenarios that they've playtested, work well,
and
would like to see on the web, I'd be willing to host them.

Allan Goodall		       agoodall@interlog.com
Goodall's Grotto: http://www.interlog.com/~agoodall/

Prev: Re: NBC Next: SG2 Scenario Repository Needed?