Prev: Re: Jon, we need an Official Ruling! (was Re: SG2 newbie Q) Next: Re: do GMS/P troopers carry ARs?

Re: do GMS/P troopers carry ARs?

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 09:23:40 -0500
Subject: Re: do GMS/P troopers carry ARs?

> Especially since the weapon might petulantly refuse to recognise your
> thumbprint or retina pattern as an authorised user, and won't fire at
> all.

I don't think that would be an issue, a military weapon that would only
fire for
one guy would be pretty useless in military terms. I'm sure there would
be some
sort of "group ID" or user access list genned up for the squad platoon
whatever,
else it would be more a hinderance than an assett.

> I can easily imagine many otherwise low-tech weapons in low-intensity
> conflicts that have some sort of personal IFF embedded in them. Reason
> being that the main source of weapons for guerillas is often the other
> side, either captured or bought from unscrupulous supply sergeants.
This
> would cause some disadvantage, as personal weapons are just that -
> personal. But the advantages could outweigh the costs.

I guess the Gs would need to hack the access code, or  or have some
capability to
disarm it. The whole idea of personal  IFF to slave a weapon to any one
individual sounds nice for civilian use but has somehwat limited use in
military
operations where the key watchword has always been and will always
remain
"contingency." I'd more concerned with making sure my force stay viable
than I am
worrying about G's grabbing our weapons, and there are probably other
work
arounds for that such as some sort of god signal to self destruct
weapons left
behind ala sportytspam's idea. (though that leads to all kinds of other
interesting "hacker" possibbilities.

Los

Prev: Re: Jon, we need an Official Ruling! (was Re: SG2 newbie Q) Next: Re: do GMS/P troopers carry ARs?